New Delhi: The 23-year-old Delhi gangrape survivor, who is battling for her life after half-a-dozen men raped her in a moving bus in New Delhi on December 16, has reached Singapore on Thursday.
The Delhi gangrape survivor was on Wednesday night shifted out of Safdarjung Hospital and flown to Singapore for further treatment. She was being treated at Safdarjung for the past 10 days.
Sources said she was issued a Singaporean visa. Her doctors at Safdarjung Hospital have been maintaining that even though she has been responding to the treatment, her condition has remained critical.
"Based on the advice of doctors, government made arrangements to shift the patient," Dr BD Athani, Medical Superintendent of Safdarjung Hospital said Wednesday night. Dr Athani added that the patient will be treated now at a mutli-organ transplant specialty hospital in Singapore.
Government sources have added that the survivor's family members were also issued travel visas. Ten people flew with the patient in the aircraft, with two doctors aboard, sources have said.
She was taken away on ambulances equipped with ventilator support provided by Medanta Medicity Hospital on Wednesday night. The young student is still susceptible to various infections, her doctors at Safdarjung have maintained.
The gangrape has outraged the nation and sparked massive protests in the national capital, with the government announcing a number of security measures for women in the city. All six accused in the case have been arrested.
During the brutal assault, the survivor suffered massive internal injuries and her health has fluctuated often since then. The doctors at Safdarjung have performed several operations on her, including the one in which they removed her gangrenous intestines.
The girl was beaten brutally and gangraped by six men aboard a private white line bus in New Delhi. Her male friend, who had accompanied her that night, was also beaten up mercilessly by the accused. After about 30 minutes of torture, they both were thrown out of the bus in a semi-conscious and almost naked state.
So far, statements from both the girl and her male friend have been recorded by the police. Sources had earlier said that the case trial will begin from January 3, 2013.