follow us on
reach us on app store
News18 » Videos » News18 Shorts

Harry won't go to Iraq: Army chief

May 17, 2007 12:06 AM IST India India
Share

New Delhi: Prince Harry will not be sent to Iraq, the head of the British Army has confirmed. The Prince had previously stated that he wanted to be involved in active service with his unit, but the Chief of the General Staff, General Sir Richard Dannatt, has confirmed the Prince will not go with his regiment, the Blues and Royals. It is believed that the Ministry of Defence would have taken account of reports that insurgents in Iraq planned to target the Prince. The move represents a U-turn by the Ministry of Defence, which said as recently as last month that the Prince would be heading to the Gulf as an armed reconnaissance officer. Senior politicians in Iraq have been calling for Prince Harry's deployment to the country to be cancelled amid fears he would be a ‘magnet’ for insurgents. Prince Harry, who is serving with the Royal Household Cavalry has said he will resign from the army if he is not sent to Iraq along with his unit. The 22-year-old prince would have been be the first member of the Royal Family to serve a tour of duty in a war zone since his uncle, Prince Andrew, flew helicopters in the 1982 Falklands conflict. A year ago, Harry made it clear his desire to serve alongside his troops if the unit were called into battle. He graduated from the army's training college in Sandhurst, England.