Associate PartnerAssociate Partner
follow us on
reach us on app store
News18 » Videos » News18 Shorts

Gurgaon couple tortures housemaid to de-stress

Nov 09, 2008 11:17 AM IST India India

Gurgaon (Haryana): A 13-year-old girl was brutally tortured by her employers in Gurgaon for more than seven months before being rescued by National Commision for Women (NCW), officials said on Sunday. A Bangladeshi refugee, Anita (name changed to protect identity) is a victim of modern-day slavery. Her blind father works as a labourer in Guwahati from where she was brought to work as a housemaid. For seven months Anita was subjected to severe physical abuse allegedly by her employers. She was rescued with a swollen eye, broken teeth and burn marks running through her arm and back. "The girl was physically and mentally tortured by her employers. She doesn't want to work for them anymore," says National Commission for Women's member Manju Hembrum. She was allegedly punched in the face and burnt with a frying pan by her well educated employers Debok Das and Poromita Sharma.While Debok works as a manager in a BPO, his wife Poromita is a lab technician at a Delhi hospital. The couple allegedly tortured the girl to de-stress themselves. And while the girl has now been rescued, Police have also recovered a mobile phone from the accused on which footage of the victim being punished — holding her ears and diong sit-ups — was recorded. Psychiatrist at Apollo Hospital, Dr Sandeep Vohra comments on the brutal abuse of 13-year-old Anita. "Many times people have sadistic tendencies, impulses in which they enjoy hurting people. Either they were ignorant or had complete disregard for the law in which nobody can employ a child as young as her and sometimes people tend to feel that they can get away with anything. All these things contributed to the trauma on this poor child," he said. Police have arrested the couple and will be further enquiring into the case. "We have recorded both the statements from the girl and her employers. We will do our further enquiry now," says Haryana Police's Hawa Singh. Rescued after seven long months of brutal physical torture, Anita is in the hospital under medical examination.