Bangalore: Karnataka Home Minister R Ashok on Wednesday said that a mobile SIM card and details of the registration of the motorcycle found at the Bangalore blast site had been recovered. The minister again ruled out any political rivalry and said that the blast was purely a terror attack.
Meanwhile, a civil defence team will be doing a reccee of the Mantri mall in Malleshwaram as well as the railway station as a precautionary measure, sources said.
The capital of Karnataka once again faced a terror strike when a bomb exploded near the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) office in Malleshwaram on Wednesday morning injuring at least 16 people including 11 police personnel. Two temples are also located near the blast site and at the moment of explosion, several devotees were on their way to the places of worship. Fortunately there were no deaths even as the BJP claimed that its office and leaders were the target of the terror strike.
According to the police, an improvised explosive device (IED) was used in the blast which damaged several vehicles including cars and a bus. Union Home Ministry and Bangalore Police officials said the bomb was placed on a stolen Yamaha motorcycle with a Tamil Nadu license plate. The police are now hunting for the trigger device.
Bangalore Police Commissioner Raghavendra H Auradkar said five civilians were injured, out of whom two were critical. "This was an explosion. Investigations have begun," he said. The police added that three cars, a bus and two two-wheelers were badly damaged in the explosion.
The blast comes weeks ahead of the crucial Assembly elections in Karnataka which are scheduled to take place on May 5. With Karnataka going to polls, the BJP office, located in a residential locality, is crowded with party workers and others.
The National Investigation Agency (NIA) and Bangalore Police have begun their probe into the blast.