News18 » Videos » News18 Shorts

Srinagar: Suicide attackers target CRPF camp; 5 security men killed

Mar 13, 2013 01:50 PM IST India India

Srinagar: In a major terror strike in the heart of Srinagar, a group of suspected fidayeen (suicide attackers) tried to storm a Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) camp in Bemina area of the city and killed at least five security personnel and injured seven other before being shot dead in retaliatory fire.

The terrorists also tried to target a police school located near the CRPF camp in Bemina and security officials say that two others who managed to enter the compound escaped. No civilian has been killed although three were injured in the attack. The bodies of two suspected terrorists have been recovered.

The terrorists, dressed as cricket players and carrying arms and ammunition, lobbed several grenades and resorting to heavy firing at the CPRF personnel in the camp at around 10:45 AM. Police officials say the terrorists came dressed in track suits and were mistaken for boys who practice cricket regularly at the school grounds. Soon after entering the compound, the terrorists opened indiscriminate fire catching the security personnel by surprise.

The entire area has been cordoned off and a manhunt has been launched to apprehend and neutralise the other terrorists who may have helped the group in carrying out the brazen attack, the first in the Jammu and Kashmir capital since January 2010 when another CRPF camp was attacked in Lal Chowk area. CRPF Director General Pranay Sahay is on his way to Srinagar to take stock of the situation.

Inspector General of Police (Kashmir) Abdul Gani Mir said it was not clear which group was behind the attack but an investigation has been launched to find the identity of the attackers and the terror group.

There is a strike in Srinagar since Wednesday morning to protest the execution of the Parliament attack convict Afzal Guru and demand the return of his body due to which the Police Public School was closed.

Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah made a statement in the state Assembly even as firing was going and said that attack had been neutralised. National Conference chief and Union Minister Farooq Abdullah called for the removal of the Armed Forces Special Powers Act from Srinagar. "We have been saying Special Powers Act is needed only at borders. This is a part of the game we have to play, our enemies will continue to do this. I have seen worst than this, we will face them. The Special Powers Act will have to go," said Abdullah.