follow us on
reach us on app store
News18 » Videos » News18 Shorts

Delhi Police had asked AAP to protest at a bigger venue as overcrowding may lead to a mishap

Apr 22, 2015 11:50 PM IST Politics Politics

New Delhi: While the country is coming to terms with the shocking suicide of a farmer at an Aam Aadmi Party rally in Delhi, police officials say that no written permission was given for the rally and they had appealed to the organisers to change the venue from Jantar Mantar to the more spacious Ramlila ground.

CNN-IBN has accessed a letter written by the Delhi Police to AAP organisers advising a larger venue like Ramlila Maidan for their Kisan rally to protest against Land Acquisition Bill.

The letter was written when police received intelligence input of almost 20,000 people gathering for the rally while Jantar Mantar only has a capacity to accommodate about 5,000 people. According to the sources, it would have been easier to handle the crowd at a larger venue.

A senior police official said that negotiations to change the venue were on till the end but organisers were adamant to start their march from Jantar Mantar and 'gherao' Parliament.

Delhi Police has also registered an FIR against unknown persons in connection with the alleged suicide of a Rajasthan-based farmer Gajendra Singh during the rally and probe has been handed over to the Crime Branch.

A case has been registered under sections 186 (Obstructing public servant in discharge of public functions), 306 (Abetment of suicide), 304 A (Causing death by negligence) of Indian Penal Code.

Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh had earlier spoken to Delhi Police Commissioner BS Bassi and ordered an inquiry.

On the other hand AAP leader and Delhi Chief Minister Kejriwal accused the police of inaction and said it was an attempt to "sabotage" his party's rally.

Gajendra Singh, a resident of Nangal Jhamarwada village in Dausa, also left a suicide note stating that he had three children and had been disowned by his father due to crop damage after recent rains and hailstorm.

A purported suicide note was also recovered from the spot which also had his family's contact number.