follow us on
reach us on app store
News18 » Videos » News18 Shorts

UP announces compensation for serial blast accused Mujahid's family

May 28, 2013 08:35 AM IST Politics Politics
Share

Lucknow: Akhilesh Yadav-led Uttar Pradesh government has announced financial compensation of Rs 6 lakh to the family of Khalid Mujahid, a serial blast accused, who died last week while in police custody. The state government recommended a probe by the Central Bureau of Investigation after Muslim groups slammed the Samajwadi Party for failing to protect minorities.

The CBI has so far not taken up the matter. Forty-two policemen, including former Director General of Police Vikram Singh and Director General of Police, Training, Brij Lal, have already been booked in the case after an FIR was filed naming them. The BJP has criticised the move, accusing the SP of glorifying a terror accused for minority votes and of trying to fulfil their controversial manifesto commitment to review terror charges against the minorities.

The state government also said that it would ensure "justice" in the case of Mujahid, who was an accused in serial blasts that had rocked Lucknow and Faizabad courts in November 2007. "A financial assistance of Rs 6 lakh has been sanctioned for the family of Mujahid. The government will ensure that justice is meted out," a government spokesman said.

He said that though on demands of family members of Mujahid, a CBI probe has been ordered, the state government too is conducting an inquiry into the matter. While a high-level committee of Secretary (Home) Rakesh and ADG, Power Corporation Javed Akhtar is conducting an inquiry into the incident, Chief Judicial Magistrate, Faizabad is also conducting judicial inquiry into the incident.

The spokesman said that the post mortem of Mujahid was conducted by a panel of five doctors, including two from the Muslim community, and all the necessary steps have been initiated on the matter. The spokesman also said that the state government has also appealed against the Barabanki district court verdict, which had dismissed its request to withdraw cases against alleged terrorists Tariq Qasmi and Khalid Mujahid.

Mujahid died on May 18 in Barabanki while being escorted to Lucknow jail after a hearing. He was being brought back to Lucknow jail after hearing in a Faizabad court. The accused fell sick and fainted near Barabanki border and was rushed to district hospital where doctors declared him dead.

Meanwhile, judicial inquiry into the case started on Monday. The chief judicial magistrate of Faizabad, Akhilesh Pandey, who is conducting the probe, recorded the statements of the remaining three accused of serial blast case - Tariq Qasmi, Sajjadur Rahman and Mohammad Akhtar. According to the sources, the accused in their statement told that when they along with Mujahid started their journey in police van from Faizabad to Lucknow, Mujahid was well and he showed no sign of illness.

Meanwhile, the special court of Faizabad additional district judge Mohammad Hussain, removed the name of Mujahid from the proceedings after receiving news of his death.

(With Additional Inputs From PTI)