follow us on
reach us on app store
News18 » Videos » News18 Shorts

Violence continues in Kashmir, two more killed

Sep 17, 2010 12:57 PM IST Politics Politics

Srinagar: Kashmir once again witnessed violent clashes on Friday between protestors and security forces in which at least two person were killed and eight others injured. The Valley remained tensed despite being under curfew for the sixth consecutive day. Clashes between protestors and security forces were reported from Budgam and Pattan. Budgam witnessed clashes at two places – Magam and Beeru. While 22-year-old Fayaz Ahmad was killed and three others injured in Magam, one person was injured in Beeru when security forces opened fire to control the mob. In Pattan security forces opened fire at the mob in Tapper where one person was killed and four others injured. With two more deaths reported the toll in the violence that has been going on over three months in the Valley has risen to 92. Tension rose in the Valley after the body of Jammu and Kashmir Liberation Front (JKLF) chief Yasin Malik's cousin, Yaseer Hameed Sheikh, who was shot in Maisuma on August 30, was brought to his residence on Friday morning. Sheikh succumbed to his injuries in a New Delhi hospital on Wednesday night. Shops and schools in Srinagar are closed. However, flights to the strife-torn Valley resumed on Friday with authorities deciding to treat passenger tickets as curfew passes. Meanwhile in Delhi, Congress President Sonia Gandhi chaired a review meeting on Kashmir. The meeting was attended by Congress leaders from the state Saifuddin Soz and Ghulam Nabi Azad along with Union Home Minister P Chidambaram, Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee, Defence Minister AK Antony, Ahmed Patel and some others. It was decided that Chidambaram would also to go to the Valley with the all-party delegation on Monday. The Valley has been under curfew since 17 people were killed in when violence flared up on September 12. (With inputs from Mufti Islah and Pallavi Ghosh)