New Delhi: Finance Minister P Chidambaram on Monday promised additional Rs 1,000 crore for the Nirbhaya fund in the interim Budget 2014. But members of the Nirbhaya task force allege that the existing funds are not being utilised at all. They say nothing has been done to empower women's safety after the brutal December 16 Delhi gangrape.
"I intend to declare the grant of Rs 1,000 crore as non-lapsable and in order to support more proposals, I propose to contribute to the fund another Rs 1,000 crore next year," Chidambaram said in his Budget speech on Monday.
"Nothing has been done so far, not a rupee from the Rs 1,000-crore fund has been spent on women safety," said Nirbhaya task force member Vrinda Grover..
The Finance Ministry has so far approved only two project proposals - one to map routes and track public vehicles on the road and second, a 24x7 emergency response unit to track people in distress. But the funds are yet to be disbursed for these schemes.
Even as the government is debating the schemes, the National Crime Records bureau has reported a 6.4 per cent increase in crimes against women between 2011 and 2013.
"Rehabilitation measures, which could have been taken immediately, have also not been taken," alleged NCW member Nirmala Sawant.
Hopefully something will be done soon to make sure that the Nirbhaya fund reaches those who need it the most.